Since we are reading enough grim news about the virus, on a lighter note here are some good side-effects of the virus :
*Exams*: We always believed exams are so important for children, we could not do education without this primitive humiliating ritual on children. Today we have seen it is possible to do away with it completely. Children got promoted to the next class without any stress of an exam...nothing bad happened!
*Work from home*: Work from home is an ideal solution for the traffic and pollution problems in a city like Delhi, but we still believed (mostly the company insisted that) it was important to drive our car, burn fuel, waste a lot of productive time and go to an office to work, every single day. But when the Virus came we figured it is possible to work from home and still get work done.
Sanskrit terms used by the husband for the wife were Pathni (the one who leads the husband through life), Dharmapathni (the one who guides the husband in dharma) and Sahadharmacharini (one who moves with the husband on the path of dharma; righteousness and duty).
This is how ancient Vedic culture viewed the partnership of husband and wife.
In Rig Veda(10.85), the marriage hymn, states that the daughter-in-law should be treated as a queen, sāmrajni, by all the family members especially the mother-in-law, husband, father-in-law.
Woman is designated as:
Aditi, because she is not dependent (Nirukta, 4/22)
Aghnyā, for she is not to be hurt (Yajur Veda 8/43)
1. Don't worry about your kids not remembering world history ..Teach them your family history..especially family medical history...it will sure help them in need
2. Don't worry about your kids unable to locate continents and capitals on the world map..Teach them the names of roads around your house and landmarks to reach home from any location of your town
3. Don't really worry if your kid does not win medals in sports and does not remember who won world cups...Teach them to exercise and stay fit
4. Don't bother of your kid scoring 100% in mathematics...Teach them to budget their expenses , save for emergencies and transact money at the shops. Let them know of your income, loans, property details..
5. Don't make your kids memorise and recite hundreds of slokas, thirukural etc...teach them the meaning of one at a time and how to apply in daily life
6. Don't try to push kids into becoming big musicians or dancers and win competitions..Teach them to enjoy and appreciate music , so they know how to relax when they are in stress.
7. Don't compel kids into driving their own bicycles or scooters because others are doing so...If they like to take the school bus to spend relaxed time with friends or a public transport , let them do so..
8. Don't worry if your kids don't eat every item you cook..Teach them to make their own sandwich...they will relish it more than what you made..
9. Don't push your kids to read and memorise autobiographies of Mahatma Gandhi or Saina Nehwal...Teach them to write their own biography...They will then want to make their life interesting and worth writing ..
10. Don't compel your kids to socialize ..Teach them how to make their life interesting with less dependency on others.
11. Don't impose religious activities on your kids...Teach them the relevance of each and help them to become spiritual..Spirituality is the key to keep themselves and also people around them happy..
Remember, a Parent's only goal for their kids is to keep them HAPPY.. You don't need to spend a lot of TIME, ENERGY , SPACE or MONEY to reach that goal of HAPPINESS...Teach your kid to be HAPPY with the available resources.